Current:Home > reviewsMore than 60 Senegalese migrants are dead or missing after monthlong voyage for Spain -Elevate Profit Vision
More than 60 Senegalese migrants are dead or missing after monthlong voyage for Spain
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 17:33:58
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — More than 60 migrants are feared dead after a Spanish fishing vessel off the Atlantic island of Cape Verde rescued a boat that started with more than 100 aboard, authorities and migrant advocates said Thursday.
Seven dead bodies were found on the boat, while an estimated 56 people are missing at sea and presumed dead, said International Organization for Migration spokesperson Safa Msehli. According to Senegal’s foreign affairs ministry, 38 survivors were rescued earlier in the week near Cape Verde, about 620 kilometers (385 miles) off the coast of West Africa.
The Spanish migration advocacy group Walking Borders said the vessel was a large fishing boat, called a pirogue, which had left Senegal on July 10.
Families in Fass Boye, a seaside town 145 kilometers (90 miles) north of the capital Dakar, had reached out to Walking Borders on July 20 after 10 days without hearing from loved ones on the boat, group founder Helena Maleno Garzón said.
Cheikh Awa Boye, president of the local fishermen’s association, said he has two nephews among the missing. “They wanted to go to Spain,” Boye said.
Cape Verde’s National Police said a Spanish fishing vessel came across the fishing boat on Monday morning about 150 miles north of the archipelago’s Sal island.
The Spanish vessel was unable to tow the fishing boat and took the survivors on board, according to a Cape Verde police statement on Facebook.
The route from West Africa to Spain is one of the world’s most dangerous, yet the number of migrants leaving from Senegal on rickety wooden boats has surged over the past year. The boats try to reach Spain’s Canary Islands, an archipelago off the northwest coast of Africa that has been used as a stepping stone to continental Europe
Nearly 1,000 migrants died while trying to reach Spain by sea in the first six months of 2023, Walking Borders says. Worsening youth unemployment, political unrest, violence by armed groups, and climate change push migrants across West Africa to risk their lives on overcrowded boats.
Nearly 10,000 people have reached Spain’s Canary Islands by sear from the Northwest coast of Africa so far this year according to Spain’s Interior Ministry figures.
On Aug. 7, the Moroccan navy recovered the bodies of five Senegalese migrants and rescued 189 others after their boat capsized off the coast of Western Sahara.
In 2021, an AP investigation found at least seven migrant boats from northwest Africa got lost in the Atlantic and were found drifting across the Caribbean and even in Brazil, carrying only lifeless bodies.
_____
Associated Press writers Babacar Dione and Barry Hatton contributed to this report.
——— Follow AP’s coverage of global migration at https://apnews.com/hub/migration
veryGood! (67)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Judge: Louisiana legislative districts dilute Black voting strength, violate the Voting Rights Act
- Caitlin Clark, Iowa upend Penn State: Clark needs 39 points for women's record
- Botched's Dr. Terry Dubrow Has Officially Weighed in on RHOBH's Esophagus-Gate Controversy
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Tennessee House advances bill addressing fire alarms in response to Nashville school shooting
- Floridians shaken by 4.0 magnitude earthquake about 100 miles off the coast in the Atlantic Ocean
- Former Olympian set to plead guilty to multiple charges of molesting boys in 1970s
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Will King Charles abdicate the throne? When 'hell freezes over,' experts say
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Biden determined to use stunning Trump-backed collapse of border deal as a weapon in 2024 campaign
- Frankenstein stories are taking over Hollywood. But this time, women are the focus.
- 2 JetBlue planes make contact at Logan Airport, wingtip touches tail
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Nevada high court dismisses casino mogul Steve Wynn’s defamation suit against The Associated Press
- Takeaways from the special counsel’s report on Biden’s handling of classified documents
- They opened a Haitian food truck. Then they were told, ‘Go back to your own country,’ lawsuit says
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Man accused of killing a priest in Nebraska pleads not guilty
Millions could place legal bets on the Super Bowl. Just not in California or Missouri
Why is there an ADHD medication shortage in 2024? What's making generics of Vyvanse, Adderall and more so scarce
Small twin
New York woman sentenced to probation and fines in COVID aid fraud schemes
Utah is pushing back against ever-tightening EPA air pollution standards
SEC, Big Ten group looks to fix college sports. More likely? Screwing up even more.