Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response -Elevate Profit Vision
Rekubit-New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 14:10:24
A report from Hawaii Attorney General Anne Lopez focused on Rekubitthe actions of the Maui County mayor in the response to the devastating wildfire last summer that killed more than 100 people and razed the historic town of Lahaina.
The nearly 400-page investigative report released Wednesday raises new and troubling questions about Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen and his response to the blazes.
"This is about never letting this happen again," Lopez said in a news conference, emphasizing the report is not meant to point fingers.
As hurricane-force winds raged on Aug. 8, 2023, igniting fires, several schools closed and the state was preparing an emergency proclamation.
But at multiple times during the day, Bissen said declaring an emergency was "not necessary." At 3:15 p.m., as the fire grew in intensity, state officials tried to reach him, asking if he was in the emergency operations center. They were told "no."
Instead, with reports trickling in on social media, Bissen finally signed the emergency order at 8 p.m. that night, hours after Lahaina burned down.
Last August, CBS News confronted Bissen, who had admitted not calling Maj. Gen. Kenneth Hara, the director of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency.
"I can't speak to what — or whose responsibility it was to communicate directly," Bissen responded at the time. "…I can't say who was responsible for communicating with General Hara."
Along with killing more than 100 people, the Maui fire destroyed thousands of homes and businesses. The staggering economic loss is estimated at more than $5.5 billion.
"Very little was done to prevent something like this from happening," Sherman Thompson, former chair of the Hawaii Civil Defense Advisory Council, told CBS News Wednesday.
When asked if the government response was negligent, Sherman responded, "I think it crossed the border, it crossed the line."
CBS News has reached out to Bissen's office for comment, but has not heard back. However, Bissen posted a statement to the county website Wednesday evening which read, in part:
"We understand the state Attorney General's investigation and the hard work that Fire Safety Research Institute put into describing the nation's worst wildfire disaster in modern history. Today's Phase One report can help piece together what other fire-stricken jurisdictions have called the most complex megafire they have ever seen."
"I remain committed to bringing Lahaina residents back home so they can take additional steps toward healing," he added.
- In:
- Hawaii Wildfires
- Maui
- Lahaina
- Wildfire
- Hawaii
Jonathan Vigliotti is a CBS News correspondent based in Los Angeles. He previously served as a foreign correspondent for the network's London bureau.
TwitterveryGood! (73)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Blake Lively Shares Peek Into Her Italian Vacation—And the Friends She Made Along the Way
- Tour de France results, standings after Stage 3
- More evaluation ordered for suspect charged in stabbings at Massachusetts movie theater, McDonald’s
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- 3 dead, 2 injured in shooting near University of Cincinnati campus
- Tour de France results, standings after Stage 3
- Campaign to get new political mapmaking system on Ohio’s ballot submits more than 700,000 signatures
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Hurricane Beryl maps show path and landfall forecast
Ranking
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Police officer fatally shoots man at homeless shelter in northwest Minnesota city of Crookston
- Impromptu LGBTQ+ protest in Istanbul after governor bans Pride march
- Redbox owner Chicken Soup for the Soul files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Paul George agrees to four-year, $212 million deal with Sixers
- Much of New Mexico is under flood watch after 100 rescued from waters over weekend
- Inside how US Olympic women's gymnastics team for Paris Games was picked
Recommendation
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
You're going to need more than Medicare when you retire. These 3 numbers show why.
Ford, Volkswagen, Toyota, Porsche, Tesla among 1M vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
Texas sets execution date for East Texas man accused in shaken baby case
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Redbox owner Chicken Soup for the Soul files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
Armed bicyclist killed in Iowa shooting that wounded 2 police officers, investigators say
Hurricane Beryl takes aim at southeastern Caribbean as a powerful Category 3 storm