Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|Second American dies in Sudan amid fighting, U.S. confirms -Elevate Profit Vision
Robert Brown|Second American dies in Sudan amid fighting, U.S. confirms
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 14:20:46
Washington — A second American citizen has died in Sudan amid clashes between two rival generals,Robert Brown National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby confirmed Wednesday.
"We extend our deepest condolences to the family," Kirby said in a call with reporters. "We continue to make clear at the highest level of our government to the leadership of both the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces that they are responsible for ensuring the protection of civilians and noncombatants, including people from third countries and humanitarian staff that are working to save lives."
Kirby said the person died Tuesday but did not confirm their identity. However, the Sudanese American Physicians Association said on Tuesday that Bushra Ibnauf Sulieman, a doctor who practiced medicine in the U.S. for a number of years before returning to Sudan, had been killed earlier in the day. The group said he had been on the frontlines providing emergency medical aid during the conflict and was killed outside his home while escorting his father to a medical appointment.
Sulieman was a professor of internal medicine and director of the faculty of medicine at the University of Khartoum, the association said.
Kirby said a 72-hour ceasefire brokered by the U.S. that began late Monday has mostly held, though there has been some violence between forces controlled by Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who leads the Sudanese Armed Forces, and Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, who is in charge of the Rapid Support Forces paramilitary group.
"We've said this many, many times, but the violence is simply unconscionable and it must stop," Kirby said.
The U.S. military evacuated American personnel from the embassy in Khartoum over the weekend and President Biden confirmed embassy operations were "temporarily" suspended.
Before the ceasefire, Americans in the country had been urged to shelter in place. Kirby said Wednesday that the U.S. is "actively facilitating the departure of a relatively small number of Americans who have indicated to us that they want to leave."
"We continue to deploy U.S. intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets, unmanned assets to support land evacuation routes, which Americans are using, and we're still moving naval assets within the region to provide support along the coast and offer Port Sudan," he said. "American citizens are arriving in Port Sudan and we're helping to facilitate their onward travel as appropriate."
Bo Erickson contributed reporting.
- In:
- John Kirby
- Sudan
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital. Reach her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hausofcait
TwitterveryGood! (91344)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Watch launch livestream: NASA astronaut, 2 Russian cosmonauts lift off to the ISS
- Connecticut alderman facing charges in Jan. 6 riot defeats incumbent GOP mayor after primary recount
- Alaska lawmaker’s husband was flying meat from hunting camp when crash occurred, authorities say
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- US Soccer getting new digs with announcement of national team training center in Atlanta
- London police arrest 25-year-old who allegedly climbed over and entered stables at Buckingham Palace
- A new Iran deal shows the Biden administration is willing to pay a big price to free Americans
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Here's the top country for retirement. Hint: it's not the U.S.
Ranking
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- They worked for years in Libya. Now an Egyptian village mourns scores of its men killed in flooding
- A New Mexico man was fatally shot by police at the wrong house. Now, his family is suing
- Kosovo receives $34.7 million US grant to fight corruption and strengthen democracy
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Not just LA and New York: Bon Appetit names these 24 best new restaurants in 2023
- Tyler Buchner, not Jalen Milroe, expected to be starting QB for Alabama vs. South Florida
- Baby dies at day care in New York City, 3 other children hospitalized
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Michigan basketball coach Juwan Howard has heart surgery, Phil Martelli is interim coach
Corey Taylor talks solo album, rails against AI as threat to 'ingenuity in our souls'
Deal Alert: These Saks Off 5th Fashion, Beauty & Home Finds Start at $10
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Jury clears 3 men in the last trial tied to the plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer
You'll Be A Sucker For Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra's Cutest Pics
Outrage boils in Seattle and in India over death of a student and an officer’s callous remarks