Current:Home > MarketsNevada election-fraud crusader drops US lawsuit under threat of sanctions; presses on in state court -Elevate Profit Vision
Nevada election-fraud crusader drops US lawsuit under threat of sanctions; presses on in state court
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 14:30:50
RENO, Nev. (AP) — An election-fraud crusader in Nevada withdrew his latest federal lawsuit in an ongoing feud with county officials in Reno after their lawyers threatened to seek sanctions for filing a baseless complaint laced with “rantings of a conspiracy theorist.”
But Robert Beadles, a wealthy ex-California businessman and right-wing activist who has embraced many Republicans’ disproven claims of election fraud, is vowing to continue his legal battle in state court. He has filed a new lawsuit in Washoe County District Court with similar allegations of fraud and other wrongdoing.
Beadles, who once briefly ran for Congress in California in 2010, made his money in construction, software, real estate and cryptocurrency investments. Now affiliated with the conservative blog Operation Sunlight, he’s helped lead attempts to recall or otherwise oust numerous county officials since he moved to Reno from Lodi, Nevada, in 2019.
He insists, without evidence, that the election system is rife with “flaws and irregularities” that robbed him of his vote in 2020. He lost another lawsuit last year that sought heightened observation of Washoe County’s vote-counting process.
The Reno Gazette Journal first reported this week that county lawyers sent Beadles letters warning of potential punitive action unless he dropped his lawsuit, which was moved to U.S. court last week because of related federal jurisdiction.
Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks said in the letter to Beadles Tuesday provided to The Associated Press late Thursday that his lawsuit subjects him to sanctions because the sole purpose is to “harass and engage government entities and officials in costly frivolous litigation.”
Hicks attached a draft copy of a motion he said they’d file unless he withdrew it. It said that since moving to Reno, Beadles has “engaged in a scheme to disrupt local and state government operations.”
Beadles’ lawsuit “contains various baseless and delusory allegations disjointed from any viable legal claim,” Deputy District Attorney Lindsay Liddell wrote in the draft motion.
She described it as “inaccurate rantings of a conspiracy theorist disconnected from any legitimate claim.”
Beadles said in an email to AP Thursday night he never requested his case be moved to federal court so he filed notice of a voluntary dismissal Wednesday. He said he filed the new case in Washoe District Court last Friday before he was threatened with sanctions.
“They put me in Federal Court. I didn’t cower; I took us back to State court, where the evidence and truth will speak for itself on an expedited timeline,” he wrote.
Like his earlier lawsuit, Beadles’ new one in Washoe District Court stated that he was “robbed of his right to suffrage” in the last election. He accuses the county of maintaining inaccurate voter rolls, an unsecure voting system and “counting votes in secret,” but hasn’t provided any evidence.
He wants the county to ban the use of voting machines and count paper ballots by hand. He’s also seeking the removal of a few county officials.
Last year, he accused county commissioners of “treason” when he confronted them with county statistics that he claimed proved there were 40,000 more votes cast than voters registered in 2020. He said the county appears to “have two sets of books.”
Election officials have explained that his data is inaccurate.
Beadles has been aligned in the past with another election-fraud crusader, Reno lawyer Joey Gilbert, who lost the 2022 Republican gubernatorial primary to now Gov. Joe Lombardo.
A judge in Carson City ordered Gilbert last year to pay $88,000 in sanctions for filing a frivolous lawsuit with no admissible evidence pressing his claims he really won the nomination. Gilbert finished second by 26,000 votes in the June primary but argued that he actually won by more than 50,000 votes.
veryGood! (8837)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- FBI data show sharp drop in violent crime but steepness is questioned
- North Carolina lawmakers approve mask bill that allows health exemption after pushback
- Special counsel David Weiss says Hunter Biden verdict about illegal choices, not addiction
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Donald Trump tells a group that calls for banning all abortions to stand up for ‘innocent life’
- Fans sentenced to prison for racist insults directed at soccer star Vinícius Júnior in first-of-its-kind conviction
- Michigan group claims $842.4 million Powerball jackpot from New Year's Day
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Ranking the five best and worst MLB stadiums based on their Yelp reviews
Ranking
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- When is the debt ceiling deadline? What happens when the US reaches the limit
- ICE arrests 8 with suspected ISIS ties
- 'The Boys' Season 4: Premiere date, cast, trailer, how to watch and stream
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Trump’s company: New Jersey golf club liquor license probe doesn’t apply to ex-president
- The internet's latest crush is charming – and confusing – all of TikTok. Leave him alone.
- Zoo animal, male sitatunga, dies in Tennessee after choking on discarded applesauce pouch
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Ranking the five best and worst MLB stadiums based on their Yelp reviews
Is Hunter Biden going to prison? What to know about the possible sentence after his conviction
Top investigator in Karen Read murder case questioned over inappropriate texts
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
MLB's most affordable ballparks: Which stadiums offer the most bang for your buck?
This new restaurant bans anyone under 30: Here's why
Arkansas governor calls for special session on tax cuts and funds for hunting and fishing agency