Current:Home > reviewsKing Charles III visit to France delayed by protests as anger mounts over Macron's pension reforms -Elevate Profit Vision
King Charles III visit to France delayed by protests as anger mounts over Macron's pension reforms
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 14:32:33
Paris — Massive protests across France against President Emmanuel Macron's national pension reforms have delayed the first state visit by Britain's new monarch, King Charles III. Charles had been set to visit Bordeaux on Tuesday next week as part of a four-day visit to France, but that city was one of many across France hit by massive unrest on Thursday, with the entrance to its city hall being set alight during a demonstration.
France's presidency announced Friday that the visit had been postponed after French labor unions announced a new day of strike and protest action for the very day Charles had been scheduled to visit Bordeaux. The two countries decided to wait, promising a new visit would be organized soon. Macron later said it would likely take place in "early summer."
The British prime minister's office said the decision to postpone Charles's visit "was taken with the consent of all parties" involved after Macron's administration requested the delay.
"Given yesterday's announcement of a new national day of action against pension reform on Tuesday March 28 in France, the visit of King Charles III, initially scheduled for March 26 to 29 in our country, will be postponed," the Élysée Palace, France's presidential office, said in a statement.
The significant rescheduling of the king's state visit came after more than a million demonstrators took to the streets in France Thursday to protest against government's plan to raise the retirement age from 62 to 64. It was the ninth day of national action, and it was again marred by outbreaks of violence and vandalism.
There were protests in more than 200 towns and cities across France. As well as Bordeaux's City Hall, other symbols of power were targeted, including police stations and courthouses.
There were more people on the streets and more violence on the sidelines of the marches as people vented their anger at Macron, whose televised interview two days ago served only to make them more convinced that the president is out of touch with strong public sentiments against his reforms.
In Paris and other places, riot police used tear gas to clear groups of troublemakers who threw firecrackers and ripped up paving stones to hurl at officers.
Macron has made it clear that his reforms will go ahead and will begin to roll out next September as planned. Despite the unrest that has continued since January, there's been no indication that the government or the labor unions driving the strikes and protests are about to back down from their positions.
Anger at Macron's reforms has in fact been building, not abating. Many workers feel it's unfair that they will be forced to alter their plans for the future. Women, in particular, have been angered because they were promised the reforms would improve the situation for those who take time off work to look after children, but along with the age raise, the reforms mean people will now have to work 44 years to get a full pension — which means many women will still be worse off than men.
The bill is now with the Constitutional Council, which has to vet it and either approve it or send it back to parliament to be amended. That process will take a month.
- In:
- King Charles III
- Paris
- Labor Union
- Strike
- Protest
- France
- United Kingdom
veryGood! (595)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Landslides caused by heavy rains kill 49 and bury many others in southern India
- Sheriff's deputy accused of texting and driving in crash that killed 80-year-old: Reports
- Coco Gauff ousted at Paris Olympics in third round match marred by controversial call
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Utility cuts natural gas service to landslide-stricken Southern California neighborhood
- Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban's Daughter Sunday Rose, 16, Looks All Grown Up in Rare Red Carpet Photo
- Income gap between Black and white US residents shrank between Gen Xers and millennials, study says
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Trial canceled in North Dakota abortion ban lawsuit as judge ponders dismissal
Ranking
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Gymnastics at 2024 Paris Olympics: How scoring works, Team USA stars, what to know
- Venezuelan migration could surge after Maduro claims election victory
- Federal appeals court rules against Missouri’s waiting period for ex-lawmakers to lobby
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- The Best Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2024 Jewelry Deals Under $50: Earrings for $20 & More up to 45% Off
- 'Black Swan murder trial': Former ballerina on trial in estranged husband's Florida killing
- Erica Ash, 'Mad TV' and 'Survivor's Remorse' star, dies at 46: Reports
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Walmart Fashion Finds That Look Expensive, Starting at Only $8
New Mexico gets OK to seek $675M in federal grant to expand high-speed internet across the state
2024 Olympics: Egyptian Fencer Nada Hafez Shares She Competed in Paris Games While 7 Months Pregnant
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Des Moines officers kill suspect after he opened fire and critically wounded one of them, police say
UCLA ordered by judge to craft plan in support of Jewish students
New Mexico gets OK to seek $675M in federal grant to expand high-speed internet across the state