Current:Home > ContactIndexbit-The US sent cluster munitions to Ukraine but activists still seek to bolster a treaty banning them -Elevate Profit Vision
Indexbit-The US sent cluster munitions to Ukraine but activists still seek to bolster a treaty banning them
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 14:17:47
GENEVA (AP) — Backers of an international agreement that bans cluster munitions,Indexbit which harm and kill many more civilians than combatants, are striving to prevent erosion in support for the deal after what one leading human rights group calls an “unconscionable” U.S. decision to ship such weapons to Ukraine for its fight against Russia.
Advocacy groups in the Cluster Munitions Coalition released their latest annual report on Tuesday, ahead of a meeting next week of envoys from the 112 countries that have acceded to or ratified the Convention on Cluster Munitions, which prohibits the explosives and calls for clearing areas where they litter the ground — often during or after conflicts.
A further 12 countries have signed the convention. The United States and Russia are not among them.
Mary Wareham of Human Rights Watch, who has long championed the 15-year-old convention, says the coalition was “extremely concerned” about the U.S. move in July, after an intense debate among U.S. leaders, to transfer unspecified thousands of 155mm artillery-delivered cluster munition rounds to Ukraine.
More than 20 government leaders and officials have criticized that decision, the coalition says.
Hoping to avoid defections from the convention, Wareham says supporters hope signatories will “stay strong — that they do not weaken their position on the treaty as a result of the U.S. decision. And we don’t see that happening yet. But it’s always a danger.”
U.S. officials argue that the munitions — a type of bomb that opens in the air and releases smaller “bomblets” across a wide area — could help Kyiv bolster its offensive and push through Russian front lines.
U.S. leaders have said the transfer involves a version of the munition that has a reduced “dud rate,” meaning fewer of the smaller bomblets fail to explode. The bomblets can take out tanks and equipment, as well as troops, hitting multiple targets at the same time.
But Wareham cited “widespread evidence of civilian harm that (is) caused by these weapons. It was just an unconscionable decision.”
The report says civilians accounted for 95% of cluster munition casualties that were recorded last year, totaling some 1,172 in eight countries: Azerbaijan, Iraq, Laos, Lebanon, Myanmar, Syria, Ukraine, and Yemen. The monitor noted efforts in places like Bulgaria, Peru and Slovakia to destroy their stockpiles of the munitions in 2022 and earlier this year.
Children made up 71% of casualties from explosions of cluster-munition remnants last year, the report said.
It said Russia had “repeatedly” used cluster munitions in Ukraine since President Vladimir Putin ordered Russian forces to invade Ukraine in February last year, while Ukraine had used them “to a lesser extent.”
Washington’s decision “is certainly a setback,” said Wareham, “but it’s not the end of the road for the Convention on Cluster Munitions by far.”
veryGood! (2214)
Related
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- New York made Donald Trump and could convict him. But for now, he’s using it to campaign
- Georgia approves contract for Kirby Smart making him the highest-paid coach at public school
- 16 Life-Changing Products From Amazon You Never Knew You Needed
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Teen pizza delivery driver shot at 7 times after parking in wrong driveway, police say
- A murderous romance or a frame job? Things to know about Boston’s Karen Read murder trial
- Pregnant Francesca Farago Shares Baby Names She Loves—And Its Unlike Anything You've Heard
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Police detain driver who accelerated toward protesters at Portland State University in Oregon
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Big Nude Boat offers a trip to bare-adise on a naked cruise from Florida
- Arkansas lawmakers approve $6.3 billion budget bill as session wraps up
- 'Unacceptable': At least 15 Portland police cars burned, arson investigation underway
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- China highway collapse sends cars plunging, leaving at least 48 dead, dozens injured
- New York made Donald Trump and could convict him. But for now, he’s using it to campaign
- Pitch Perfect 4 Is Being Developed and Rebel Wilson's Update Is Music to Our Ears
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
'Mrs. Doubtfire' child stars reunite 30 years later: 'Still feels like family'
Amid arrests and chaos, Columbia's student radio station stayed on air. America listened.
Giannis Antetokounmpo, Damian Lillard attempting to return for Bucks' critical Game 6
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Head Over to Lululemon’s We Made Too Much -- Get a $128 Romper for $39 & More Finds Under $50
Pregnancy-related deaths fall to pre-pandemic levels, new CDC data shows
Gangs in Haiti launch fresh attacks, days after a new prime minister is announced