Current:Home > NewsAI-generated song not by Drake and The Weeknd pulled off digital platforms -Elevate Profit Vision
AI-generated song not by Drake and The Weeknd pulled off digital platforms
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 14:03:50
London — A song that clones the voices of A-list musicians Drake and The Weeknd using artificial intelligence was pulled from social media and music streaming platforms Tuesday following a backlash from publishing giant Universal Music Group, which said the song violated copyright law.
The AI-generated song, "Heart on My Sleeve," went viral over the weekend, racking up more than 8.5 million views on TikTok before being pulled off the platform Tuesday. The song, which the artists have never actually sung, was also pulled off many YouTube channels, though versions were still available on both platforms.
The full version was played 254,000 times on Spotify before being yanked by the leading music streaming platform.
Universal Music Group, which releases music by both Drake and The Weeknd, was quoted by the BBC as saying digital platforms have a "legal and ethical responsibility" to prevent the use of services that harm artists.
The creator of the song, who's been identified only by the handle "@ghostwriter," claimed on their now-deleted YouTube account that the track was created using AI software trained on the musicians' voices from existing video clips.
- Pope Francis in a puffer jacket? AI think not.
"I think that is part of what is making it difficult for the untrained ear to differentiate between these AI-generated and non-AI generated tunes," music journalist Hattie Lindert told CBS News on Tuesday. "It's pretty convincing when there are so many Drake tracks that AI can train from."
Neither artist has reacted publicly to the song, but Drake had previously been critical of his voice being cloned using artificial intelligence.
"This is the final straw, AI," he said in a now-deleted post on Instagram after seeing a fan-made AI-generated video in which he appeared to be rapping.
This latest AI controversy comes as tech giants Microsoft and Google look set to go head-to-head as they develop competing AI-powered "chatbot" technology, following the launch of Google's Bard AI software last month.
"AI itself will pose its own problems. Could Hemingway write a better short story? Maybe. But Bard can write a million before Hemingway could finish one," Google Senior Vice President James Manyika told "60 Minutes" correspondent Scott Pelley in an interview that aired on Sunday. "Imagine that level of automation across the economy."
- In:
- Social Media
- Music
- Artificial Intelligence
- AI
- TikTok
- YouTube
veryGood! (336)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Deputies fatally shot a double-murder suspect who was holding a chrome shower head
- More than 10,000 players will be in EA Sports College Football 25 video game
- FAA audit faults Boeing for 'multiple instances' of quality control shortcomings
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- JetBlue, Spirit ending $3.8B deal to combine after court ruling blocked their merger
- Phillies, Zack Wheeler agree to historic three-year extension worth whopping $126 million
- DeSantis names Disney World admin to run elections in Democratic Orange County
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Catholic news site Church Militant agrees to pay $500k in defamation case and is expected to close
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- American Airlines to buy 260 new planes from Boeing, Airbus and Embraer to meet growing demand
- Pennsylvania court rules electronic voting data is not subject to release under public records law
- Phillies, Zack Wheeler agree to historic three-year extension worth whopping $126 million
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Voiceover actor Mark Dodson, known for roles in 'Star Wars' and 'Gremlins,' dies at 64
- Voiceover actor Mark Dodson, known for roles in 'Star Wars' and 'Gremlins,' dies at 64
- A judge orders prison for a Michigan man who made threats against Jewish people
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Lisa Vanderpump Is Joining Season 2 of Gordon Ramsay’s Food Stars
Blizzard aftermath in California's Sierra Nevada to bring more unstable weather
Takeaways from the Wisconsin 2020 fake electors lawsuit settlement
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
The owners of a Christian boarding school in Missouri are jailed and charged with kidnapping crimes
NFL world honors 'a wonderful soul' after Chris Mortensen's death at 72
NLRB official denies Dartmouth request to reopen basketball union case. Players to vote Tuesday