Current:Home > ContactU.K. police say man arrested over apparent triple murder in Nottingham -Elevate Profit Vision
U.K. police say man arrested over apparent triple murder in Nottingham
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 18:35:20
Police in central England said Tuesday morning that a 31-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder after three people were found dead in two locations on the streets of Nottingham. There was no immediate word on a possible motive.
The Nottinghamshire Police said they were not seeking any further suspects in the apparent killings.
"We are keeping an open mind as we investigate the circumstances surrounding these incidents and are working alongside Counter Terrorism Policing to establish the facts — as we would normally do in these types of circumstances," the police said in a statement.
Nottinghamshire Chief Constable Kate Meynell said earlier that police believed "these three incidents are all linked and we have a man in custody" after what she described as "an horrific and tragic incident which has claimed the lives of three people."
Witnesses told British media outlets they were awakened at about 5:30 a.m. local time by the sound of gunfire, and one man captured video he said was police pinning the suspect to the ground after they apparently followed him in an unmarked police vehicle and then shot him with tasers.
Police said in the statement that officers were called to the first scene just after 4 a.m. and found two people dead in the street. They were then alerted to another incident not far away "where a van had attempted to run over three people," according to the statement.
The three survived but were being treated at a local hospital, one of them in a critical condition, police said. It was near that last scene where the suspect, who was not immediately identified, was apprehended.
Police said they later found another man dead on a different road, at a third location in the city.
The University of Nottingham confirmed in a statement later Tuesday the "sudden and unexpected death of two of our students following a major incident in Nottingham city centre overnight," without providing further information on the victims.
Witness Lynn Haggitt told the BBC that she saw a van hit two people at about 5:30 a.m. local time near Nottingham's Theatre Royal.
"He looked in his mirror, saw a police car behind him, he then quickened up, there were two people... he went straight into these two people," she told the BBC.
About a half dozen roads in Nottingham, which has a population of about 330,000, remained closed Tuesday morning amid the ongoing police investigation, and there were also closures on the city's tram network.
CBS News' Emmet Lyons contributed to this report.
- In:
- Murder
- United Kingdom
Tucker Reals is the CBSNews.com foreign editor, based at the CBS News London bureau.
veryGood! (14)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- 'No ordinary bridge': What made the Francis Scott Key Bridge a historic wonder
- NBC has cut ties with former RNC head Ronna McDaniel after employee objections, some on the air
- Krystal Anderson’s Husband Shares Heart-Wrenching Message After Past Kansas City Chiefs Cheerleader Dies
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Lucky lottery player now a two-time winner after claiming $1 million prize in Virginia
- Kristen Doute's Nipple-Pinching Drama on The Valley Explained
- Sinking Coastal Lands Will Exacerbate the Flooding from Sea Level Rise in 24 US Cities, New Research Shows
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- California Restaurant Association says Berkeley to halt ban on natural gas piping in new buildings
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Texas’ migrant arrest law is on hold for now under latest court ruling
- Who owns the ship that struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore?
- Former RNC Chair Ronna McDaniel will no longer join NBC after immediate backlash
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Christina Applegate Battling 30 Lesions on Her Brain Amid Painful MS Journey
- Pickup truck driver charged for role in crash that left tractor-trailer dangling from bridge
- The Louisiana Legislature opened a window for them to sue; the state’s highest court closed it.
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Zendaya's Hairstylist Ursula Stephen Reveals the All-Star Details Behind Her Blonde Transformation
2 pilots taken to hospital after Army helicopter crashes during training in Washington state
New concussion guidelines could get athletes back to exercise, school earlier
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Frantic text after Baltimore bridge collapse confirms crew OK: 'Yes sir, everyone is safe'
Is the April 2024 eclipse safe for pets? Why experts want you to leave them at home.
Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs’ lawyer says raids of the rapper’s homes were ‘excessive’ use of ‘military force’