Current:Home > StocksHong Kong transgender activist gets ID card reflecting gender change after yearslong legal battle -Elevate Profit Vision
Hong Kong transgender activist gets ID card reflecting gender change after yearslong legal battle
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 15:04:28
HONG KONG (AP) — A Hong Kong transgender activist on Monday received a new ID card reflecting his gender change, after a yearslong legal battle to change the document, and he vowed to continue working for equality for the LGBTQ+ community.
Henry Tse won his appeal over the government’s refusal to change the gender on his ID card in February 2023. Previously, Tse was not able to make the change because he did not undergo full gender-affirmation surgery.
Last year, the city’s top court said the government’s policy was unconstitutional in a landmark ruling, arguing it imposed an unacceptably harsh burden. The judgment prompted an easing of rules earlier this month.
Tse’s victory is seen as an important step forward for the city’s LGBTQ+ community, many of whose transgender members consider the operation unnecessary and risky.
After obtaining his new ID card, Tse told reporters that life has not been easy since he lodged a judicial review in 2017. In addition to the legal challenges, he has also faced obstacles from the government and attacks from others.
“What is normal for many people has finally become normal for us,” Tse said.
Public sentiment in Hong Kong has become increasingly welcoming to the LGBTQ+ community, but many still face challenges in daily life.
Tse said bank staff told him he did not match his ID card and asked him to resubmit documents. He also could not change the gender on his travel permit to mainland China, which caused him a delay when crossing the border. Immigration officials searched their computer for 15 minutes, he said, before finally letting him enter.
In April, the Hong Kong government revised its policy to allow people who have not completed full gender-affirmation surgery to change their genders on ID cards as long as they fulfill certain conditions. The conditions include the removal of breasts for transgender men, the removal of the penis and testes for transgender women, and having undergone continuous hormonal treatment for at least two years before applying.
Applicants also have to continue their hormonal treatment and submit blood test reports for random checks upon the government’s request.
Tse, after receiving his new ID card, said he would start changing his other documents, including his passport and bank details. The activist, who was previously active in sports, said he might sign up for a gym membership too.
“It’s a return to normal life,” he said.
veryGood! (422)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- MS-13 leader pleads guilty in case involving 8 murders, including deaths of 2 girls on Long Island
- Keri Russell Says Girls Were Out of the Mickey Mouse Club Once They Looked Sexually Active
- 'It's absolutely nothing': Cowboys QB Dak Prescott dismisses concerns about ankle
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- College can boost your income by 37%. Here are the top schools for the best financial outcomes.
- 'Gladiator II' trailer teases Paul Mescal fighting Pedro Pascal — and a rhinoceros
- How to get a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts for 87 cents
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Kevin Costner’s second ‘Horizon’ film pulled from theatrical release
Ranking
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Meagan Good says 'every friend advised' she not date Jonathan Majors amid criminal trial
- Bachelor Nation's Daisy Kent Details Near-Fatal Battle With Meningitis
- Seeking carbon-free power, Virginia utility considers small nuclear reactors
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Judge cites ‘hyper-religious’ belief in ruling man incompetent for trial in Minnesota killings
- Opening statements to give roadmap to involuntary manslaughter case against Alec Baldwin
- Up to two new offshore wind projects are proposed for New Jersey. A third seeks to re-bid its terms
Recommendation
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Lindsay Hubbard Defends Boyfriend's Privacy Amid Rumors About His Identity
Couple charged with murder in death of son, 2, left in hot car, and endangering all 5 of their young kids
Violet Affleck reveals she contracted post-viral condition in 2019, slams mask bans
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Long-unpaid bills lead to some water service cutoffs in Mississippi’s capital city
Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid's Son Jack Quaid Responds After Mom Defends Him From Nepo Baby Label
Wisconsin secretary of state settles open records lawsuit brought by conservatives