Current:Home > ScamsDallas juvenile detention center isolated kids and falsified documents, state investigation says -Elevate Profit Vision
Dallas juvenile detention center isolated kids and falsified documents, state investigation says
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:47:31
Officers at a juvenile detention center in Dallas kept kids isolated for days and falsified logs of observation checks and school attendance, an investigation from the Texas Juvenile Justice Department found.
State investigators say that staffers at the Dr. Jerome McNeil Jr. Detention Center used the Special Needs Unit to circumvent state law and essentially keep juveniles in their sleeping quarters for extended periods of time.
“They spent the vast majority of their days inside their cells, sometimes up to 24 hours a day, without regular access to education, large muscle exercise, outdoor recreation, or showers,” state investigators wrote in a report released Monday.
The full investigation was not made public, though TJJD provided the investigation’s executive summary.
The agency’s Office of the Inspector General said that they will continue to monitor the situation. Also, a division of the agency will continue to have oversight duties and responsibilities related to allegations of wrongdoing at Dallas County’s juvenile facilities. The superintendent of the detention center did not respond to requests for comment.
Officers also falsified documents meant to record observation checks and school attendance in order to conceal the actual practices occurring in the detention facility, the investigation found. OIG investigators collected over 18,000 pages of observation checks from January 2023 to June 2023. However, there were 176 of the 191 observation sheets missing for multiple dates and shifts.
“In some instances, inspectors found that all of the logs for a particular section and shift had the exact same times and observation codes for each juvenile resident on the section,” the report found.
Other allegations reported and investigated by OIG included children not being fed sufficiently and phone and visitation rights taken away due to behavior issues, although the investigation could not find these to be true or false.
The Special Needs Unit was created in 2009 to help children with mental health diagnoses who are also on probation. The program closed in 2023, the same year the OIG investigation took place, but the exact reasons for the closure are unknown.
This week’s report comes after the U.S. Department of Justice found unconstitutional conditions at all of Texas’ five juvenile detention facilities last month. They noted abusive and poor conditions and listed many remedial measures including limiting periods of isolation. Investigators found other wrongdoings such as pepper spray use on children and failure to apply sexual abuse reduction measures.
The state’s report says former Dallas County Juvenile Detention Center Executive Director Darryl Beatty should have been aware of what was happening within the special needs unit.
“While he may not have had an active role in creating the policies and procedure that allowed for neglect of juvenile residents, he had ample opportunity to take corrective action,” the OIG report said.
Beatty earlier this year denied the allegations, but resigned after media reports about conditions inside the juvenile facility, WFAA reported.
Barbara Kessler, spokesperson for TJJD, said Dallas officials are taking corrective actions and the state investigation is now closed.
“Investigators will continue to monitor the situation and can open new abuse, neglect, or exploitation investigations if warranted,” Kessler wrote in an email.
___
This story was originally published by The Texas Tribune and distributed through a partnership with The Associated Press.
veryGood! (58116)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Vigil for Maine mass shooting victims draws more than 1,000 in Lewiston
- Tommy Pham left stunned by Rangers coach Mike Maddux's reaction to pick off play
- Newly elected regional lawmaker for a far-right party arrested in Germany
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Coach Fabio Grosso hurt as Lyon team bus comes under attack before French league game at Marseille
- Hurricane Otis kills 3 foreigners among 45 dead in Acapulco as search for bodies continues
- China holds major financial conference as leaders maneuver to get slowing economy back on track
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Matthew Perry’s Cause of Death Deferred After Autopsy
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Heartbroken Friends Co-Creators Honor Funniest Person Matthew Perry
- Gun control advocates press gridlocked Congress after mass shooting in Maine
- Back from the dead? Florida man mistaken as dead in fender bender is very much alive
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Maine mass shooting may be nation's worst-ever affecting deaf community, with 4 dead
- She talked about depression at a checkup — and got billed for two visits.
- Firearms charge against Washington state senator Jeff Wilson dismissed in Hong Kong court
Recommendation
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Authorities say Puerto Rico policeman suspected in slaying of elderly couple has killed himself
Olympian Michael Phelps Expecting Baby No. 4 With Wife Nicole
Everything to know about the 'devil comet' expected to pass by Earth in the summer
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Everything to know about the 'devil comet' expected to pass by Earth in the summer
Cousins may have Achilles tendon injury; Stafford, Pickett, Taylor also hurt on rough day for QBs
More than 70 people are missing after the latest deadly boat accident in Nigeria’s north