Current:Home > FinanceAttack on Democratic Republic of Congo camp for displaced people reportedly leaves at least 23 children dead -Elevate Profit Vision
Attack on Democratic Republic of Congo camp for displaced people reportedly leaves at least 23 children dead
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:49:06
Bunia, Democratic Republic of Congo — At least 46 people, half of them children, were killed in a militia attack on a camp for displaced people in the Democratic Republic of Congo, security analysts and a local community leader said Monday.
A militia group involved in numerous ethnic killings in the area attacked the camp in northeast Ituri province overnight Sunday to Monday, Richard Dheda, an official of the local administration for Bahema Badjere in Djugu territory, told AFP.
The Kivu Security Tracker (KST), a network of observers based in DRC's restive east, counted "at least 46" dead in the Lala camp.
A community leader Desire Malodra gave the same death toll of 46, adding that 23 of them were children.
He added that the toll was still provisional as "the search continues" for victims.
Earlier, Dheda said there had been 41 victims, while a military source said at least 22 had been killed.
The CODECO militia, or Cooperative for the Development of the Congo, claims to protect the Lendu community from another ethnic group, the Hema, as well as the DR Congo army.
"They began to fire shots, many people were burned to death in their homes, others were killed by machete," Malodra said.
The Lala camp for displaced people is about three miles from Bule, the site of a United Nations peacekeeper base.
Ituri province is one of eastern DR Congo's violence hotspots, where attacks claiming dozens of lives are common.
CODECO militiamen attacked an army position in the Djukoth area of Ituri province's Mahagi territory late on Saturday, killing seven civilians.
After a decade of calm, the conflict between the Hema and Lendu communities rekindled in 2017, resulting in thousands of deaths and forcing more than 1.5 million people from their homes.
Much of eastern DR Congo is plagued by dozens of armed groups, a legacy of regional wars that flared in the 1990s and 2000s.
- In:
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- War
- Africa
- Murder
veryGood! (427)
Related
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Prosecutor failed to show that Musk’s $1M-a-day sweepstakes was an illegal lottery, judge says
- Artem Chigvintsev Returns to Dancing With the Stars Ballroom Amid Nikki Garcia Divorce
- When does Spirit Christmas open? What to know about Spirit Halloween’s new holiday venture
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Old Navy's Early Black Friday Deals Start at $1.97 -- Get Holiday-Ready Sweaters, Skirts, Puffers & More
- When does Spirit Christmas open? What to know about Spirit Halloween’s new holiday venture
- What is prize money for NBA Cup in-season tournament? Players get boost in 2024
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Ryan Reynolds Clarifies Taylor Swift’s Role as Godmother to His Kids With Blake Lively
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Arbitrator upholds 5-year bans of Bad Bunny baseball agency leaders, cuts agent penalty to 3 years
- North Carolina offers schools $1 million to help take students on field trips
- Human head washes ashore on Florida beach, police investigating: reports
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Crews battle 'rapid spread' conditions against Jennings Creek fire in Northeast
- Stop smartphone distractions by creating a focus mode: Video tutorial
- Larry Hobbs, who guided AP’s coverage of Florida news for decades, has died at 83
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
How to protect your Social Security number from the Dark Web
Philadelphia mass transit users face fare hikes of more than 20% and possible service cuts
Ryan Reynolds Makes Dream Come True for 9-Year-Old Fan Battling Cancer
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Vogue Model Dynus Saxon Charged With Murder After Stabbing Attack
Vegas Sphere reports revenue decline despite hosting UFC 306, Eagles residency
Bluesky has added 1 million users since the US election as people seek alternatives to X